Used for a canal towpath from 1825 to 1850, this site next became the corridor for a railway that carried coal from the Leechburg coal mining station. Kovalchik Salvage donated the first 1.5 mile of abandoned right-of-way, and the trail opened in 1991. The trail is in excellent condition and well-maintained. Beginning at Canal Road, it parallels the beautiful Kiskiminetas River to the southeast. At the 1.5-mile mark look for the stone remains of canal Lock No. 15. Remnants of a dam, destroyed by flood in 1866, also are visible here during low water. The trail eventually will connect to the West Penn trail three miles upriver.